phantom power

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

phantom power

Post by jon6667 »

anyone have experience with a phantom power supply.i have a studio microphone and it runs on phantom power not sure how to hook it up. it has mic. in mic.out has xlr plugs that plug in to the box. then plugs into power supply.
any help would be appreciated. ive watched you :? tube videos but they only show how to hook it up to a computer
thanks.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: phantom power

Post by MDYoungblood »

What voltage does the instruction/manual say the mic needs to operate? A lot of "studio style" microphones require 48v and they get the power off the sound board it is hooked to. To hook one up to a radio the audio should feed through to PS via an output, you will have to use a handheld or foot pedal for the PTT switching like ones used on a Heil mic.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by jon6667 »

yes i have all of it. yes its 48 volts i have a heil stand with the ptt switch also have the foot petal
bought 5 premade cords for it. just need to hook it to my 48 volt phantom power supply
thanks
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

If you have a cord that goes from the mic to the PS than half your battle is won, follow the schematic or instructions for the audio and ground hookup from the PS to the radio. Sometimes a diode is required to keep any power feedback on the ground side when making up the PTT.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by jon6667 »

there was no instructions in the box. i have 2 xlr cables male and female. and the cord that goes from the mic. to the radio. and the ptt stand.. ill try to figure it out
thanks youngblood