anyone have a Baofeng UV-B5 ?

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

anyone have a Baofeng UV-B5 ?

Post by dirtyjob »

have been wanting an dual band ht for some time and have been watching these chinese Baofengs, They are cheap in price but all the reviews Ive seen all praise them, The only thing that turned me off was the uv-5r series boxy looks turned me off, as did the absence of a rotary vfo, they instead use a keyboard channel up/down key, not to my liking so i didnt bother with this series.

However, the new model UV-B5 is just what I am looking for, Made the order seconds ago and was wondering if anyone here has one, Again the reviews on this unit echo those of the other Baofengs , but the UV-B5 seems to get even greater praise on it's front end and audio quality.
The UV-B5 also has a rotary channel/menu selector, something I wanted, this is where the other Baofengs have their flashlight feature , I could care less about a flashlite..lol and welcome the rotary selector in it's place.

VHF 136-174 (RX/TX) UHF 400-470MHz (RX/TX) dual band
. Mode: VFO, Channel Mode
. DTMF tone of transmitting code
. Lithium-ion battery with high capacity
. Commercial FM radio receiver (65 MHz ~ 108MHz)
. Incorporates 104 codes “DCS” and 50 privacy codes “CTCSS” programmable
. CTCSS and DCS setting in different MENUs
. Priority Channel Scanning
. Noise Reduction
. Function “VOX” (voice operated transmission)
. Auto LCD illumination
. Channel mode display (Name, Frequency, Channel#)
. Scan resume method (TO/CO/SE)
.PTT-ID (Press or release the PTT to transmit code; Press and release the PTT to transmit code)
. Under frequency mode, band shift setting for accessing repeater
. Offset frequency range 0-69.9875 MHz
. Direct entering numerical key to select MENU
. Channel capacity 99
. Reverse function
. Audio companding
. PC programming
. Emergency Alarm function
. Frequency step 5/6.25/10/12.5/20/25kHz
. Battery saving function
. Low battery warning
. Transmitter transmission (TOT)

Specification:
General
Frequency Range: VHF 136-174 MHz (Rx/Tx). UHF 400-470MHz (Rx/Tx);
65MHz ~ 108MHz (Only commercial FM radio reception)
Memory channels: Up to 99 channels
Frequency stability: 2.5ppm
Frequency step: 5KHz/6.25KHz/10KHz/12.5KHz/20KHz/25KHz
Antenna impedance: 50Ω
Operating temperature: -20°C to +60°C
Supply voltage: Rechargeable Lithium-ion 7.4V/2000mAh
Mode of Operation: Simple or semi-duplex
Duty cycle: 03/03/54 min (Rx/Tx/Standby)
Dimension: 120x58x35 mm
Weight: 210g (included battery+ antenna)
Transmitter
RF power: 5W/1W
Type of modulation: F3E
Maximum deviation: ≤ ±5kHz / ≤ ±2.5kHz(W/N)
Dock Battery charger
Input: AC220V, 50-60Hz; Output: DC10V/500mA; Plug Type: US

Contains:
1x BAOFENG UV-B5 FM Two-Way Radio Body
1x 7.4V/2000mAh Battery
1x Antenna
1x Belt Clip
1x Battery Charger
1x Hand Strap
User Manual

They also have the UV-B6 , it is technically the same but does not have the rotary selector, instead they bring back the flashlight, again, not something I want.

The "5r" series did not interest me, although reviews say they are fine, but again use that darn flashlight in place of what could be a useable rotary selector, much more usefull in my opinion.

anyways, if your in the market for a dual band HT and dont wanna break the bank you can pick one of these up for 45-60 bucks and hit your local 2 meter/440 repeaters

Tuesday, 14 May 2013, 22:56 PM

oh and also a word of caution, be carefull as these will transmit out of band .
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204

Re: anyone have a Baofeng UV-B5 ?

Post by 231 »

I have the UV-5R+Plus and like it okay. I don't care for the fact it's not very intuitive in navigating the keypad like my Icom V82 is. But it's got good transmit and receive audio, does a good job at hitting the repeaters, and a good value (IMHO). I would not consider making it my primary HT though...but being I use HT's (let alone VHF/UHF) so little, it doesn't matter much. Mine is the boxy one but it's so small it being boxy just never bothered me any. Best part is they are cheap enough that if I lost it or it got damaged I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I probably won't buy another one down the road...but figured it was worth trying once.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get it programmed up the way you want.

Enjoy your new HT.

Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Yes
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom

Post by Slyguy »

If I were you spend a little more and buy a Yaesu or other name brand. Programming those Chinese radios can be a pain in the butt. You can't just push the vfo button and enter a freq, you need to navigate through a bunch of menus to do what you want to do. If I remember right, even squelch must be accessed through a menu. Then lets get into programming pl tones.....on my ft60 I press the function key then the code key and rotate the knob to the desired pl tone, it's easy.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
Island_0860
Donor
Donor
Handle: 860
Antenna: 1/2 wave Dipole 2 EL Quad
Radio: SuperStar SS 158 EDX

Post by Island_0860 »

Did they finally lockout the ability to go below 136 or above 170 MHZ on the new Yaesu or Kenwood handhelds ?

I know in 1993 to 1995 it was still possible to go that low or high in freq
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slyguy »

Yes Island they did but you can still receive
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Island_0860
Donor
Donor
Handle: 860
Antenna: 1/2 wave Dipole 2 EL Quad
Radio: SuperStar SS 158 EDX

Post by Island_0860 »

Good to know thanks.
Back in the day ..I saw portables doing on TX 180 and 132 MHZ...FM of coarse...no PTT inhibit.
I also plan on getting either yaesu or kenwood portable...if I luck out on the exam.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

Slyguy wrote:If I were you spend a little more and buy a Yaesu or other name brand. Programming those Chinese radios can be a pain in the butt. You can't just push the vfo button and enter a freq, you need to navigate through a bunch of menus to do what you want to do. If I remember right, even squelch must be accessed through a menu. Then lets get into programming pl tones.....on my ft60 I press the function key then the code key and rotate the knob to the desired pl tone, it's easy.

actually no, there is a fantastic pc interface, ive already read the reviews and downloaded the software, its a breeze.

Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 16:49 PM

and yes it is direct keyboard entry, ide advise you to read some reviews respectfully.

Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 16:50 PM

i could easily spend 200 for an icom/yaesu but where an ht is concerned i dont see the need nor the point.

Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 16:53 PM

i was seconds away from ordering the FT-270R but said no.

Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 16:54 PM

as the one i went with beats its specs and price and reviews hands down.

Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 16:55 PM

its a case of wranglers VS levis

Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 17:40 PM

since i also wanted the speaker mic and programing cable "they are interchangeable" i went and ordered a 5r, I will do a comparison between the 2 when they arrive.

"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Bearcat

Post by Radar-DLDN »

I just got the 5R yesterday, my first VHF/UHF radio. I really just wanted an inexpensive radio to get my feet wet. I had first looked at the 3R but felt it was well worth the extra $5 for this one. I got the cable with it and used CHIRP to program in the local repeaters. I have not tested the transmitter since I don't have my call sign yet, but I can hear the closest repeater just fine. I didn't think I would care about the FM broadcast receiver but I was working today and had it on and I liked how it switched as soon as the repeater broke the squelch. Probably something available on better radios too but it's a nice feature.

Sly is completely right, everything is menu based. If you get any of these get the program cable and download CHIRP. It's open source and I hear much easier than the included software. If you are using simplex it is plenty easy to type in the number, but even if you are experienced it would take a full minute to program a repeater in to the thing. I haven't minded the squelch since I can generally just leave it at the first level and hear everything, but it is a pain.

Bottom line, for under $40 I like it so far. We will see how I sound on it and what kind of range. That reminds me, the antenna is SMA female, so if you have any SMA male antennas you will need a female to female adapter. Since I don't have any SMA antennas yet it's not an issue for me. For a techie these things aren't too bad of a learning curve, worth it as a first HT or something to throw in a GO bag.

EDIT: One more thing to note, the B5 does NOT have a 2.5khz step option, the 5R does. It will vary per person whether that is important, but I wanted to throw that out there too.
Radar - Toledo, Ohio - Mod Duck
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slyguy »

Radar-DLDN wrote:EDIT: One more thing to note, the B5 does NOT have a 2.5khz step option, the 5R does. It will vary per person whether that is important, but I wanted to throw that out there too.
The only thing you will need the 2.5khz spacing for is business and commercial bands. They were made to go narrow band where amateur was not effected. Long story short, if you're only using it on the ham bands the 2.5khz spacing is not necessary.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

correct, 2.5 is of no use to me

Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 22:10 PM

what the b5 does have is dtmf for echolink use where i dont think the r5 does, but i could be wrong.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Radar-DLDN »

I didn't realize that Sly, that's good to know. Makes sense since the only time I have seen it is the FRS frequencies.

The 5R does have DTMF. Menu, Up, Down, Exit are the A, B, C, D. It's not labeled on the key, just one of those things you have to look up. Now that is a sentence that is used often for these radios. If you Google UV-5R Miklor there is a very good instruction and FAQ site. The manual for the 5R and 3R are nearly worthless, I imagine the B5 will be much the same.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

I'LL LET YOU KNOW :icon_e_wink:
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

I have had to program several local guys Cheap China made HT's. The older guys find the way too hard to program. IMHO, they are great as a back up rig or 2nd rig like for the bike or fishing. But main use: Yaesu only for me. I spunt a few extra $$ and picked up a used VX-3 as my back up. I find the knock off version to use a cheaper quality speaker & mic. Yes you can hear a difference on trans & receive. I also like the resale value of the name brands.

Its kinda like when you buy a car, if you pay extra to get leather & a bigger motor, you can enjoy it while you own it & when you go to resell it, the value is increased because of leather & bigger motor. So the actual cost of owner ship is low.

I present a challenge that I have seen several times. Try and program that radio on the fly at field day with no owners manuel. Or in a Ecom situation when the repeater goes down & everyone is switching to simplex!

I also like to do fox hunts, and trying to change settings on the fly with that radio may be hard.

Just throwing out to you what I have seen with them. But, your experiences may vary. A few of the guys love theirs, others not so much.

Keep us posted. :pirat:
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slyguy »

Yep. As long as you carry a computer with you, programming is easy. But like Str8 says, try to punch in a repeater freq and pl tone on the fly without the manual. Good luck. :)
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Radar-DLDN »

Str8 and Sly, I absolutely do not argue those points. I know how to program it from the menu but I greatly prefer not to.

I do have to say, the price difference isn't like adding a performance package to a car. It's more like buying a Ford Focus and being told that for only 2-5 times the price you could get a far better BMW. When I first joined this site I wasn't sure CB was going to be a lasting hobby for me, or whether I was just going to move on to something else. So I started with a $40 1001z and a homemade dipole. Since then I got an Imax2000. The car I had a 1001lwx and mag mount. Since then I got a 980SSB and installed a permanent ball mount. I certainly wasn't going to drill a hole in my car on day 1.

I can honestly say the UV-5R was what finally pushed me over to getting my ticket. When I realized I could get on VHF/UHF for $40 I decided I might as well. For lack of a nicer word, I am frugal, at least until I prove to myself it's more than a passing interest.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

Slyguy wrote:Yep. As long as you carry a computer with you, programming is easy. But like Str8 says, try to punch in a repeater freq and pl tone on the fly without the manual. Good luck. :)

well there are only so many repeaters around me, far under the memory capabilities of any radio i own or ever will own so this will never be a factor.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

dirtyjob wrote:
Slyguy wrote:Yep. As long as you carry a computer with you, programming is easy. But like Str8 says, try to punch in a repeater freq and pl tone on the fly without the manual. Good luck. :)

well there are only so many repeaters around me, far under the memory capabilities of any radio i own or ever will own so this will never be a factor.

Yes we have several in town, and I travel alot weekly & go camping all over the gulf coast, often traveling through 2 large cities where each has a dozen or so active repeaters. So programming on the fly is a must for me. I forced myself to learn how to use the storage & label tags. I have come to like those label tags. One even reads CH 69! :pirat:

Radar-DLDN, Yup, thats why I said "your experiences may vary". Some folks are must more adept to learning the functions hidden deep in menus with a knob that can serve 50 functions. Also, the fact that most everyone in our club has a Ft-60 means I can use anyones radio & they can use mine on the go. We tried to keep it streamlined & standardized. It also gives the ability for one to swap batteries. This all has proved very Handy during field day events & Go Kit days.

Just wanted to share my experiences. Later gator!
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have been looking at them for a while, even coming from China the price is hard to beat. I have not read many reviews on them but I think I may order one just to have an HT.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

read some reviews MD, I have read many all were good on both units, i would suggest the b5 over the r5 though simply for the rotary selector, like i said ive read all the reviews and i actually have both units coming in so i will compare both myself and will be more than happy to review them :biggrin:

I personally do not partake in any field days and do not belong to any clubs so I know not what that entails,the use of an ht for me would simply be so I could bring it in the mobile as well as to work and around my yard when im sitting on my deck so at least for me the ability to change anything like repeater functions on the fly is non existant, actually to be honest I cant stand the old hams I have met in my area, here they are all snobs "for the most part, the best people I have met and converse with are all new hams" the old hams make it quite clear they are elite in comparison to any new person "at least in my area", a shame really because without us new guys their hobby has no future wouldnt you agree. I personally cant wait till the old guys in my area "depart" :twisted: and the new generation takes over.

Perhaps if i got a haircut and shaved they would have shook my hand like they did everyone else and welcome me to their elitist hobby :cheers: when I passed my exam but I prefer to be who I am and i got my ticket for me not them afterall :)

Sorry bout the little rant but felt I had to say this about my area, if yours is different then I envy your area, I cant stand people who look down on others without knowing them.

As far as the baofengs go some valid points were made and hopefully will continue to be made within this thread, I think it was well pointed out that a user should ask what they require from an ht and make their own decision accordingly.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slyguy »

dirtyjob wrote:read some reviews MD, I have read many all were good on both units, i would suggest the b5 over the r5 though simply for the rotary selector, like i said ive read all the reviews and i actually have both units coming in so i will compare both myself and will be more than happy to review them :biggrin:

I personally do not partake in any field days and do not belong to any clubs so I know not what that entails,the use of an ht for me would simply be so I could bring it in the mobile as well as to work and around my yard when im sitting on my deck so at least for me the ability to change anything like repeater functions on the fly is non existant, actually to be honest I cant stand the old hams I have met in my area, here they are all snobs "for the most part, the best people I have met and converse with are all new hams" the old hams make it quite clear they are elite in comparison to any new person "at least in my area", a shame really because without us new guys their hobby has no future wouldnt you agree. I personally cant wait till the old guys in my area "depart" :twisted: and the new generation takes over.

Perhaps if i got a haircut and shaved they would have shook my hand like they did everyone else and welcome me to their elitist hobby :cheers: when I passed my exam but I prefer to be who I am and i got my ticket for me not them afterall :)

Sorry bout the little rant but felt I had to say this about my area, if yours is different then I envy your area, I cant stand people who look down on others without knowing them.

As far as the baofengs go some valid points were made and hopefully will continue to be made within this thread, I think it was well pointed out that a user should ask what they require from an ht and make their own decision accordingly.
I think you will be very happy with your purchase. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great radios and you can't beat the price with a stick. I have just become spoiled I guess. I have a bunch of people ask me how to program their Wouxun radios in the field and am totally lost. I am pretty lucky in my area as they welcome new hams with open arms but theres always that guy thats holier than thou. Apparently you have a bunch of them. Anyway enjoy your new radios.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

lol, yes we do unfortunately 9 out of 10..lol course im in the north, people are generally not to friendly here.

Moving on though, both radio's arrived today from the far East, just got done programing in my local repeaters usinf the baefeng software, if anyone buys a b5 your gonna have to get the "daily build" as this model is not listed in the stable release from them yet.

Anyways I gotta report, me being in my basement i was able to key a 2meter repeater 20 miles away on both units set to high "both units advertise 5 watts but reviews show its a bit over 4"

RX was great on both but sound quality wise i believe the b5 delivers richer quality, the compander function really does a nice job reducing backround noise.

TX sound quality on the checks I got reported to be about the same, the 2 guys I conversed with found it hard to believe i was actually on these radio's as they sounded so good "Their words not mine" , however they couldnt really say one sounded any better than the other, only that they sounded good.

Build wise, i personally prefer the b5, it is a bit heavier and feels better made than my 5r.

made a short vid of both units side by side.

[youtube2]
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
[/youtube2]

Thursday, 23 May 2013, 0:44 AM

oh, also not only did i use the baofeng software to program them, i also used chirp, this was what i was refering to when i stated to get the daily build for the b5, sorry if this confused anyone, reason i used both softwares was simply because they both have features the other does not so i used them both to get the max out of setting these up for what i wanted.

Thursday, 23 May 2013, 0:46 AM

if anyone buys one of these do yourself a favor and get a package deal, meaning look for the unit/charger/programing cable and speaker mic all in one package, this is what I did and the best deal for you.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
MichaelPanny
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

anyone have a Baofeng UV B5

Post by MichaelPanny »

I had passed up some step pads on Ebay a year or so ago that I think were in like new condition. I did so, because my boat did not come with them, and I was a stickler to not add anything that wasnt original.

However, since that time, I can see that they would be very useful, and since they COULD have been there in 1960, it would be a good idea to install a pair.

If anyone has a tip on where these would have been installed on a 1960 Seacoaster, I would appreciate it. like x inches along gunwhale from bow...

Also, if anyone knows of someone with these types of accessories, I am interested in a source.. Otherwise, I will just keep my eyes peeled on Ebay.

Thanks...

John Hart

Thanks.
rudy
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Rudy
Antenna: Double bazooka
Radio: Uniden 510

Post by rudy »

I just learned about the Baofeng radios about a month ago from an airsoft guy. Started to look into them, then I ran into this little news bit:
https://survivalblog.com/roun ... ng-uv-5rs/
" Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Hand Grenade is no longer our friend." :o
nosaj
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: nosaj
Radio: cobra 29 ltd

Post by nosaj »

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

nosaj wrote: August 19th, 2019, 5:20 pm Another take on it.https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the ... answer-no/

nosaj
Okay, that one worked without me getting a warning. BTW,, trying to stop the influx of Baofeng's would be like stopping the 10m conversions radios.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department