New Shack Photos Both CB and Ham Sides

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
80 meter man
Donor
Donor

New Shack Photos Both CB and Ham Sides

Post by 80 meter man »

Here are the first shack photos of 2008 from the 80MM radio shack. First the CB side there is a Spark tuned Galaxy 959 feeding in to a MFJ Super tuner II then into a World Wide 2 pill into a World Wide 4 pill into a Diawa 2000 watt PEP meter. This is the way the shack will look for the DX fest Saturday. No further modifications will be made. The mic is a Heil Sound GM-5 processed by a Behringer pre-amp, limiter, mixer and effects processor. The final item in the mic line is a product called an I-Box. This item is made by a privet radioman and is a filter and a gain adjust to keep your audio where you want it just before it gets to the radio. I find it works very well filtering out any stray RF that might leak into the mic wiring.

Now for the Hammy side---On the left is my UHF/VHF stack. All radios are by Alinco and are all in the exact same chassis. Each radio is a mono bander. One for 2 meters one for 220Mhz and the last is 440Mhz. Alinco model numbers DR-135,235,435. All have there separate antennas. There are no duel band antennas in this system although the Yaesu 897 and the Icom 706 have duel band antennas for the UHF/VHF sides. The 897 and the 706 can be switched between my Imax-2000 and my homemade 140 foot V-Dopole. The Yaesu 920 I use exclusively on the HF Ham bands. The only antenna available to this radio is the dipole which is down now from bad weather. It sits under the snow and cant be retrieved until spring. The mic is a Behringer B-1 condenser mic This mic will pick up an ant walking across your carpet from 60 feet away. You have to make sure your shack is dead quite when using this mic. Even better would be to cover your shack in that acoustic sound absorbing material but that gets expensive. Skip here today is dead i hope it picks by Saturday. I hope to hear you in the DX fest!!!

Thanks to 22-0 for license plate art work
EM²

Fear the spinning Fish!!!

II Chronicles chapter 7 vs. 14
ww228kidd
Donor
Donor

Post by ww228kidd »

nice yeasu!!!
80 meter man
Donor
Donor

Post by 80 meter man »

ww228kidd wrote:nice yeasu!!!
Out of all those radios the only one you like is the Yaesu :( :(

I'm just having fun :) I like the 920 also but the 897 and the Alincos come in a close second. I thought I would not like the Alincos because of there low cost but once I bought the first one I could not get the second two fast enough!! There a real nice radio for there price and the mic is very heavy duty and loud! Everybody says these Alincos are the loudest radios they hear me on. I've heard trash about them but I've seen none of that just excellent radios!!
EM²

lonesome 500
Donor
Donor

Post by lonesome 500 »

wow....can i be in your will :)

that 706 is my next....but love the heil [just sold mine] ....i like my ft-840 but looove that one
TwentyTwo-Zero
Donor
Donor

Post by TwentyTwo-Zero »

Nice looking set ups, 80MM! If/When you get "tired" of them just pack 'em up and send them my way - I'd gladly take them off your hands!

Skip around here has been non-existent lately. I'll be monitoring over the weekend but if conditions don't change for the better I doubt I'll be able to get in on any of the fun. :(
Save Your Money, Don't Go To The Show
And Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow...Frank Zappa
------------
WR0220 Washington State 38LSB
CPI • Cobra • Icom • Yaesu
linx

Post by linx »

80mm,

That looks great man. I like it a lot. I think if I had mine that organized my wife may actually like me having all the equipment I want!

I'm doing an addition at my house though, I'm converting my covered sunroom into a full time radio room. I hope mine looks half as good as that one when it's all said and done.
80 meter man
Donor
Donor

Post by 80 meter man »

linx wrote:80mm,

That looks great man. I like it a lot. I think if I had mine that organized my wife may actually like me having all the equipment I want!

I'm doing an addition at my house though, I'm converting my covered sunroom into a full time radio room. I hope mine looks half as good as that one when it's all said and done.
That sounds great to me!! Nothing could be better than a purpose built radio shack!! Make sure you get the electricians to wire in at least 14 110 volt outlets and two 220 volt outlets at 50 amps each. Might as well do it now while everything is all apart than pay to rip everything out latter to do the job!! Your going to need that 220 by 50 amp outlet for the 900 amp Fatboy power supply to power that 32 pill!! Don't deny that you want it!!! We all do!!! I put a 220x 40 amp in mine last time I ran wires. I put in 10 110 volt outlets and I wish I put 20!! You never have enough! My 220 x 40 amp outlet is still empty for now.

As for the neatness of the shack? I put an hour of work into it before I took the photos. There were wires everywhere! That is the neatest its been in over a year. I'm getting ready for the DX fest on Saturday. The skip is low low today but yesterday it was not bad I'm hoping for good conditions this weekend!! Hope to talk to many of you!!
EM²

White Lightning
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: 102' SS Whip
Radio: Cobra 29 LTD Chrome

Post by White Lightning »

Wow nice setup
2009 Silverado Ext Cab
Cobra 29 LTD Chrome 102' SS Whip
linx

Post by linx »

80 meter man wrote:
linx wrote:80mm,

That sounds great to me!! Nothing could be better than a purpose built radio shack!! Make sure you get the electricians to wire in at least 14 110 volt outlets and two 220 volt outlets at 50 amps each. Might as well do it now while everything is all apart than pay to rip everything out latter to do the job!! Your going to need that 220 by 50 amp outlet for the 900 amp Fatboy power supply to power that 32 pill!! Don't deny that you want it!!! We all do!!! I put a 220x 40 amp in mine last time I ran wires. I put in 10 110 volt outlets and I wish I put 20!! You never have enough! My 220 x 40 amp outlet is still empty for now.

As for the neatness of the shack? I put an hour of work into it before I took the photos. There were wires everywhere! That is the neatest its been in over a year. I'm getting ready for the DX fest on Saturday. The skip is low low today but yesterday it was not bad I'm hoping for good conditions this weekend!! Hope to talk to many of you!!
LOL, I heard that on the electrical outlets. I already have plans to have a seperate breaker box in the room. The room is 10x17 (not too big, but will be nice with panoramic windows). The advantage of being on construction is having a couple of electrician buddies. Im going to have a bench about as long as the room for my radios and work area. It's hard to have too much area to tinker on stuff.

Course I'm sure the rest of the room will be full of the kids toys, lol.
ww228kidd
Donor
Donor

Post by ww228kidd »

Make me wanna try Ham and SSB...lol....they are all nice...i have always liked the Yeasu
doctor

radio

Post by doctor »

WOW, what a nice set up, I have an Alinco and a Yaesu also nice radios..

DOCTOR/795 :shock:
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

REALLY NICE SET UP 80 METER MAN. THAT HEIL MIC IS SOMETHIN ELSE. BETTER THAN LOOKIN AT A GIRLIE MAG. :D :D :D :D