Getting your license

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
Punkin Head

Getting your license

Post by Punkin Head »

For those interested in getting your license these are some good places to study and learn the material.

you can get this one from www.ARRL.com also they have the study guides for General Class and Extra Class.
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator

www.hamtestonline.com is a good place to learn the questions and take practice tests it has the entire question pool for Technician, General, and Extra classes. It is kept up to date also. I think it is a $49 membership to this for 2 years access to the questions and you can log in and study as much as you want. it gives you the places to look for the answers if you miss the answer and has links to the information in most cases.

General Class
Amateur Radio Element 3
FCC License Preparation
by Gordon West WB6NOA
Great source for the Question Pool. He has the Technician Class book, General Class book, and Extra class book. All of these are great and I am sure other people may have books or other material they used to study. Please post what you know, its all about learning :)

Once you get ready to take your test and get licensed go to www.arrl.com and at the top left there is a spot to click that says exams. Click on that enter your zip code and how ever far you are willling to travel to take the test. Hit search and it will pull up all of the testing locations and dates in that radius from your location.

I hope this helps those interested get started and good luck.
Last edited by Punkin Head on December 13th, 2007, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linx

Post by linx »

Ok,

Well, I have shared this information with many users via private messege, and I have e-mailed this information to a lot of users, so I am now going to share my knowledge with the general population.

This information is not mine, but I have used it to study. Some may be able to use it by itself to study, and if you can, then awsome. Some may not be able to use it by itself, and if that's the case, then there are lots of books available from your local book store, from arrl, and from many other credited services.

So what am I talking about? It's free online study guides created by Earl, N8KBR.
They are located at the following web address: http://studyguide.eqth.info/
In the event that particular website is down, just google N8KBR. The guy is famous for his question pools and online tutorials. His information is all over the place.

I hope this helps you, as it helped me pass my test.

Enjoy,

Rob