where do you talk skip on ssb?

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
mudder

Post by mudder »

oh yeah well how about a string and 2 cups?LOL :8_too_funny: :88-bsflag11:
Rocky Mountain Oyster

Post by Rocky Mountain Oyster »

Well, I've got a 102" whip on top of my shell here in the oyster bed.
RC
Donor
Donor

Post by RC »

Well wouldbe SSB Dxers.YOu can't hear what isn't there.The sun spots are at the 7year low and are working up.The next 7years the skip will be in longer,and wider as the year goes on.Right now you can find short skip in at night from 6pm Mt.time to about 11pm.Some days nothing.This time next year skip will be most of the morning hours and 2 years from now the long skip will be in......38 is the channel of choice for the new CBer,most old timers have a standby on the upper freqs.I favor 27475.0 anf for the downunder opperators it's 27.420.0 You will have to find the freq that you like and stay with is as a standby........RC 2SF137
RC
Donor
Donor

Post by RC »

Your right Marvin,I have been on SSB before there was 40 channels.I was on 27.255.0 when there only was 23 channels and moved to 27.475.0 now.I don't use AM at all.SSB when you know how to use it is the best. RC 2SF137
lyrsbnge

Re: SSB cb radio

Post by lyrsbnge »

marven wrote:There are still several SSB clubs active in the US, and many more world wide. I will try to post a list of them and when & where they meet.
If you are only using AM, your missing 1/2 the fun of CB. All it takes to have a SSB club is a couple people using it.
marven :roll:
I totally agree with ya Marvin. I live in Eastern W. State,and certain times of the year have talked all over the USA,Japan,Australia--etc. Of coarse--and i am not proud to admit it,,i was using an RCI-2950. But i have talked Lot of DX just on my Cobra 148F. I am just using a power supply,running some good cable out to by backyard chain-link fence. I have a 5/8Th's 20 foot straight "whip" antenna,works great!! Barry
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Back when I was running my TRC465 SSB Mobile as a base on the A-99 I had some good luck on 37/38 LSB/USB for making some good DX contacts. And I've always run barefoot. Hell even AM skip shooting barefoot was pretty good. When the conditions were good, I couldn't talk across town, but I didn't seem to have any problems talking to Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas.

One time I had a modified TRAM radio and went to the upper side, and made a decent contact to Portugal from Eastern Ontario, Canada.

Now that was fun!!
BigBubbaBD

Post by BigBubbaBD »

Sideband is great. Your right if nobody is there your not going to hear or talk to anyone.
Theres not to many people at all that talk SSB locally. Every now and then you will find someone.
But when AM skips starts rolling start hunting for some sideband broadcasts.. Dont give up after the first try.
I hear alot of people say "sideband sucks ive tried and never ever made a contact".. Well you must not be trying very hard. If you have a good radio thats stable on ssb you can and will make a contact.
You dont give up so easliy if you dont get your name called on AM do you?
I havnt had SSB for very long. Still have not heard any roll in from across t he big pond but I know its going to roll one day and I cant wait. Ive talked to canada and various places in the US. Matter of fact every time its been rolling and ive keyed ive made contact.
lyrsbnge

SSB----I Think?

Post by lyrsbnge »

Mr.RadioActive wrote:I dont feel theres any "#^%$%^%$" contests going on. People have the right to disagree. If you read the posts I put up there isnt any contest going on.

Again, I like Corvettes. My cars perfect for me. But a soccer mom would disagree she may like a mini van. Does that make me wrong? Does that make her wrong?

Man, just because someone disagrees with you isnt a personal assult. You disagree with me, but do I feel offended? Not at all, again I'm totally sure your very knowledgable we welcome and encourage a interchange of ideas. But if someone disagrees that doesnt make it a attack.

Ive said it a thousand times, I love AM, just as much as many other guys. But SSB can be fun, I dont have $4000 in ssb rigs to talk to myself.

All that being said, lets get on with it and start posting some stuff to teach people. If we dont then we'd be acting no better then the boneheads on triple nickle!
I am also RADIOACTIVE---Richland Wa. buds,our nuke plants killed ALOT of people,am i proud of the fact i live here/Damn right!! There isn't a feeling in the world that says "no matter what i did,or how much it cost to do it" makes the very basic human emotion say--That was fun!! Personally,i own a couple of "vette's" myself. I get no satisfying feeling outta serviceing them,crap--if you own them it's gotta be done. I also believe a mini-van needs a tuneup from time to time!! I do know for sure that "I " love Jeep Rubicons,and the places i can take my Rubicon,that happens to be in the middle of nowhere,but still close enough to my Garage to "service my Vette's", happens to be where i turn on my CB Radio for the companionship of yakin to another fellow hobbyst--i truly believe it's the "friends" we make, talk'in on whatever band they or i choose,than pushing one mans opinion,or "Band and radio's" Heck,I love yakin a couple thousand miles from where i sit,and maybe i do use LSB/USB to get my thrill--the fact is/when it happens--i still get that thrill!! Helluva lot cheaper than servicing my Vettes--but driving them is fun as well!! Marvin---When ya get that list done,count me IN!! And thanks for putting some thought into your and somebody elses passion. By the way,my dogs bigger than yours,and i own 5 GibsonLes Pauls!!! Barry
PA629

Post by PA629 »

When I was in CB last time, which just happened to be during the last skip cycle, I made hundreds of contacts on SSB, mostly around 27.485 to 27.645, usually on LSB. Almost all the US states, the UK, and Western Europe, even got into Beirut and Turkey. But I used AM in the regular 40 to do the same thing, so it's a matter of choice. SSB was a change of pace and I'm sure I'll be using it again. I'm still trying to make contacts in Japan and Australia, so whatever it takes........ :wink:
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Huh?

Post by Circuit Breaker »

"yeah try talking skip without an amp or high powered radio now there's a challenge."

What's so challenging about it? My very first DX contact was from my San Diego QTH to a station in British Columbia on a Cobra 148GTL and a Radio Shack 1/4 wave ground plane 20' above our 2 story house. I worked all over the U.S. and even into Australia a couple of times all with the standard 12 watts on sideband. If it is a challenge, then I welcome it. It makes the contact that much more rewarding.
lyrsbnge

SSB

Post by lyrsbnge »

BigBubbaBD wrote:Sideband is great. Your right if nobody is there your not going to hear or talk to anyone.
Theres not to many people at all that talk SSB locally. Every now and then you will find someone.
But when AM skips starts rolling start hunting for some sideband broadcasts.. Dont give up after the first try.
I hear alot of people say "sideband sucks ive tried and never ever made a contact".. Well you must not be trying very hard. If you have a good radio thats stable on ssb you can and will make a contact.
You dont give up so easliy if you dont get your name called on AM do you?
I havnt had SSB for very long. Still have not heard any roll in from across t he big pond but I know its going to roll one day and I cant wait. Ive talked to canada and various places in the US. Matter of fact every time its been rolling and ive keyed ive made contact.
You nailed that comment,it's very clear when it's there,no-matter what kind of rig your using/and when it's there you can notice certain times of the day/night it is "rolling" Ya can't mistake it!! I,as well,have allmost allways made several contacts when the conditions are right,sorta like fishi'n---you will not catch a thing unless the lines in the water!! And after all these yrs.--i still get a rush yakin to somebody 6 states away/let alone another country!! Barry
dan

call

Post by dan »

27.355 in aus
lyrsbnge

Re: Huh?

Post by lyrsbnge »

Circuit Breaker wrote:"yeah try talking skip without an amp or high powered radio now there's a challenge."

What's so challenging about it? My very first DX contact was from my San Diego QTH to a station in British Columbia on a Cobra 148GTL and a Radio Shack 1/4 wave ground plane 20' above our 2 story house. I worked all over the U.S. and even into Australia a couple of times all with the standard 12 watts on sideband. If it is a challenge, then I welcome it. It makes the contact that much more rewarding.
[/color I have never used a linear,any type of amp. I have used my RCI-2950/so that is cheating,but talked to Japan,Hawaii,Australia on several ocassions.When the skips rollin in good,i make several contacts an HOUR just on my 148F used as a base with a decent antenna!! Barry]
Maverick
Donor
Donor

Post by Maverick »

OK, I talk on AM and SSB, but I LOVE SSB! I do agree that there are some elitist ssb operators out there that think all AM ops are trash, and that's wrong; but there are different rules for SSB especially the freeband. The operating procedures for freeband ops are very similar to HF HAM operations. It seems like many people really don't know exactly what SSB is, so I'll try to explain it. SSB is an AM mode. AM has a carrier and 2 sidebands, but ssb uses only one sideband and no carrier. To make the signal intelligible, the carrier is added to the ssb transmission by the receiver. SSB radios are able to produce more power because all of it is concentrated in only one side band and no carrier.
For more info on Freeband SSB operating procedures try the freeband DX academy on the net. There are also lots of other cool modes being used on the freeband lately like SSTV, RTTY, and CW.
Hope this helps.
Catch ya' Later Modulator!
Maverick
Donor
Donor

Post by Maverick »

OK, I talk on AM and SSB, but I LOVE SSB! I do agree that there are some elitist ssb operators out there that think all AM ops are trash, and that's wrong; but there are different rules for SSB especially the freeband. The operating procedures for freeband ops are very similar to HF HAM operations. It seems like many people really don't know exactly what SSB is, so I'll try to explain it. SSB is an AM mode. AM has a carrier and 2 sidebands, but ssb uses only one sideband and no carrier. To make the signal intelligible, the carrier is added to the ssb transmission by the receiver. SSB radios are able to produce more power because all of it is concentrated in only one side band and no carrier.
For more info on Freeband SSB operating procedures try the freeband DX academy on the net. There are also lots of other cool modes being used on the freeband lately like SSTV, RTTY, and CW.
Hope this helps.
Maverick
Donor
Donor

Post by Maverick »

Hope this helps.
Maverick
Donor
Donor

Post by Maverick »

How the hell did that happen??? Sorry, could an administrator delete 2 of those?
lyrsbnge

Why and how come the skip has been goin crazy past week?

Post by lyrsbnge »

Here in Wa. State,starting at about 5:30 AM---it's just hittin hard this last week!! Lower 38 has been CRAZY at times. Seems like when the cold front hit last Sunday,It's like clockwork!! I am using a RCI-2950,but thats it!! I am gett'in contacts every other
key-up,for 5-10 minutes,then--nuthin!! Weird!! Must be gett'in that time of year,was getting zero last week. Barry
doctor

ssb

Post by doctor »

ssb is the way to go for skip, I have a hard time on am unless the station is full scale on the meter to many big guns on both modes but still a lot of fun. I even tried FM the other night on 40 and made 2 contacts about 35 miles away..
doctor :shock:
Triple5
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Triple5 »

I seem to hear the most chatter on 27.385 thru 27.405, occasionally on 27.465 thru 27.485 in my area for DX
DaveinKC
Donor
Donor

SSB

Post by DaveinKC »

I use SSB a lot and have fun with it.
Just sayin'

LATER!
43glr187

Post by 43glr187 »

lol
ch35 / 27.355 lsb austrialia chit chat channel
ch38 / 27.385 lsb where stateside normaly comes in lol usb = wog channel
ch48 / 27.485 lsb grandpar
ch55 / 27.555 usb dx call channel
doctor

SSB

Post by doctor »

The skip season will be starting soon, and in a year or two sunspot cycles will be here, skip across the pond into the pacific island will be forthcoming.
I use 385 when it gets heavy try chnl 16 lower and then jump to 27.475 Kangaroo channel, a contact 24/7 on lsb
doctor

ssb

Post by doctor »

Try if your new 27.475 lsb ..the kangaroo channel always a contact 24/7 lsb

Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: 316
Antenna: Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 2950 and IC-7000

Post by 316 »

Hey Doc you always get a hit on 27.4750?