Need Advice on CB and Antenna

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
tobybul
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: frogtog
Antenna: Tram 300
Radio: Pres Johnson II

Need Advice on CB and Antenna

Post by tobybul »

Just getting back to CB after 30+ years. Looking online I see similar brands except for 1 or 2. Main use is for travel to from snow country to Florida and back once a year as snowbirds. Would like Weather Channels at least. No SSB. I would like a radio that I won't be thinking of upgrading again. Initially I was thinking President Johnson II with Lil Wil. I just got them but could not tune Lil Will.

Best I could do is C1=1:1. C40=2.5:1. Got a cheap Tram 300 and it tuned! I'm also thinking the President my be more than I need for $129. It does have quite a few features like ASC, ANL, 7 WX, etc. I was thinking maybe a President Andy or Uniden 520 may fit the bill? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Oh, and its for my car so looking at magnetic mount.
BikePacker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rip
Antenna: 5/8 whip ground mounted.
Radio: Cobra148GTL

Re: Need Advice on CB and Antenna

Post by BikePacker »

Given for your car and you'll need a mag mounted antenna, no SSB,
here is one to maybe put on your list for consideration ....
it has the aforementioned plus weather, plus scanning (! : )....
"COBRA - HH50WXST HANDHELD CB RADIO WITH NOAA WEATHER, MAGNETIC MOUNT ANTENNA & DC CIGARETTE POWER CORD."
I have friends and family who have bought this model and are happy to have done so.
Be aware that you may need to try several vendor listings causes it goes 'stock out'
here & there, now & again.
What if the "hokie-pokie" really is "...what it's all about!" ? ? ?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I'll start with a antenna, I prefer a long whip base load magnet mount, the Sirio 5000 models do very well on the roof of a vehicle. My second choice would be a Stryker (any of the base loaded models) or third, a Wilson (same). These antennas will give you excellent range and adjusting will get a perfect SWR over the entire CB (plus) band.
Radios with weather band are few, the best one out is the President McKinley USA SSB, (my choice), you said no SSB, so the President Andy, small radio that will fit just about anywhere, will need a external speaker if you tuck it in a cubby hole.
My suggestion would be to look at radios without weather and just download a weather app to your smart phone.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
tobybul
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by tobybul »

I did get a President Johnson II with front speaker. Mounting on top of dash on a Volvo Station wagon. Good point on the phone app. Can still return cb if I want to. Next issue is antenna. Lil Will not tuning well. Seen some posts here that others having same issue. Has anyone have a ny experience with Hustler antennas?
tobybul
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by tobybul »

Follow up post - I was thinking about a Uniden Pro520XL. Someone here mentioned not need for weather channel as phone weather app much better.