Got in a load of public service radio gear.... (now what?)

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
CJ555
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Handle: CJ555
Radio: RCI 2950

Got in a load of public service radio gear.... (now what?)

Post by CJ555 »

Confession time.... I'm a bit of a fool for auctions. Over the years I've learned a bit about how to make them more successful for me. But sometimes I wonder......

I bought 4 pallets of used radio and electronic stuff from a nearby county. Now it's taking up a 10x20' storage unit that I have to pay for every month. There are some real treasures - an Icom IC-720 rig, three Bird wattmeters, an entire Lorex security camera system. Box of antenna cables, small one of connectors.

There's some obvious junk......old CRT monitor, even the 15" LCDs are less useful these days. Old computer stuff, Win XP cds, keyboards, driver discs - and disks! (notice the 'k' :D )

Some "interesting, might be useful to someone" things like heavy-duty police-car type laptop mounting brackets. Big box of power cables and adaptors. Box FULL of plug-in crystal modules for something-or-other.

Aannnaaannnnd then the public service radio stuff. Boxes of older HTs and mobile/vehicle mount units and accessories. Rackmount Motorola repeater? modules. The rack cabinet that they maybe were in......complete with Transmit and Receive power meters! 2x HUGE 24V, 100A (!!!) DC power supplies. Some of it is marked with the name of a local mountain, so I know where it probably was for the last couple decades.

Antennas galore, vehicle mount VHF 155 MHz, GHz GPS, couple of ~6' beam antennas of unknown bands, really cool wire-frame parabolics.

Cool stuff, right?

My only trouble is, I'm so new to radio, I'm not even sure what I have here. I'm researching the frequency bands, rules, radio model numbers/capabilities...... Hoo boy. Maybe some of it (besides the cables and Icom) usable for CB or amateur radio..... maybe some of it would be illegal to transmit on :shock:. Maybe some things could be modified to be more usable (re-tune antennas eg). I just don't know yet.

But I want to find out! So I'm posting this in case anyone else is interested in learning, playing around, has any advice, etc etc. If there's interest I can post pictures, and followups.

Let me know what you think!
CJ
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Got in a load of public service radio gear.... (now what?)

Post by MDYoungblood »

It sounds like you have some nice stuff there but obviously you haven't been a member long enough to post and sell any of it here, that can be corrected just by contacting Bozo, go back a peruse the rules one more time.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department