BaoFeng UV-5R

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
1 ADAM 12
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 1ADAM12
Radio: General Lee

BaoFeng UV-5R

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

I recently purchased this radio for a friend (that did not want to spend much money) and have learned that programming it is a beast. The manual does not go into detail on how to do any programming. I have the desired frequencies, tones, offsets, and shifts but can't figure out how to save a frequency as a memory channel. I also can't save an "alpha" tag to a frequency. I have read some reviews that say you must have the software to accomplish the programming successfully. I have read some reviews that say the programming software only works part of the time and is not user friendly... :drunken: Does anyone have this radio or has programmed a BaoFeng that would give me some tips?
1-ADAM-12
milkman21218
Donor
Donor
Handle: Milkman
Call Sign: W1ASA
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many

Re: BaoFeng UV-5R

Post by milkman21218 »

I used the factory software to program mine. But it does not like Win7. Works on XP. Try Chirp Software I'm told that it's much better by many friends that use it. It is FREE. But I have not used it.

CHIRP SOFTWARE
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/
Central Maryland

Kaos
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: 102" Whip
Radio: Stryker 955HPC

Post by Kaos »

milkman21218 wrote:I used the factory software to program mine. But it does not like Win7. Works on XP. Try Chirp Software I'm told that it's much better by many friends that use it. It is FREE. But I have not used it.

CHIRP SOFTWARE
I really prefer the CHIRP software. I have a Baofeng UV-82L and really like it....well once I got it programmed. Also, make sure your usb driver is correct. I had trouble w/ mine and had to download one. I wish I could remember where I got the driver but it's been so long ago that I can't. It was online and if need be I can try and find it for ya.
3-1-6 out in the stix......
milkman21218
Donor
Donor
Handle: Milkman
Call Sign: W1ASA
Antenna: Many

Post by milkman21218 »

Kaos wrote:
milkman21218 wrote:I used the factory software to program mine. But it does not like Win7. Works on XP. Try Chirp Software I'm told that it's much better by many friends that use it. It is FREE. But I have not used it.

CHIRP SOFTWARE
I really prefer the CHIRP software. I have a Baofeng UV-82L and really like it....well once I got it programmed. Also, make sure your usb driver is correct. I had trouble w/ mine and had to download one. I wish I could remember where I got the driver but it's been so long ago that I can't. It was online and if need be I can try and find it for ya.
Thanks Kaos, I also have the Baofeng UV-82L. But I have not programmed it yet. I will try Chirp on it one day.
Central Maryland

Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Yes
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom

BaoFeng UV-5R

Post by Slyguy »

My daughter just got a UV-5R for Christmas and I used the chirp software to program it. Worked flawlessly with windows 7.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Bearcat

Post by Radar-DLDN »

There are youtube videos showing how to program it from the keypad, but all they did for me is convince me to buy the programming cable and download CHIRP. With that I got it set up quickly. Guess good manuals raise prices. It's a pretty decent handheld, programming aside.
Radar - Toledo, Ohio - Mod Duck
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500

Post by dirtyjob »

i own both the 5r and the uvb5 "which i like better" and use both the baofeng software and chirp to get the best of both programs. I also bought a diamond antenna and it really helps with tx/rx on either radio, consider buying one over the stock antenna.
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

Yep I have this radio and programmed it with the chirp software. Not a problem with it at all on my end.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I've been looking at them , just haven't got the "Winner" notification yet , lol.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

its a nice radio for the price and what it is ,, if you in a big town you will have all kinds of crossbanding
radio be going off all kinds of crazy
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The best thing to do is go to the menu and do a factory reset (menu 40). If yours has the newer firmware the default language will be Chinese. Go to menu 14 and change it back to English. It is much easier to program if you start with a clean slate.

Then find the freq you want to rx on. Set the tones how you need them. Go back in the menu and go to save channel (I think its 26 or 27). Now that you've saved the freq to ch 1 this is only the rx freq. Enter your TX freq and save it to the same ch. The first time you save it will be as rx and the second time you save it will be TX. I'm not sure is the tones are saved but I'm still figuring it out. I have the programming cable but haven't uses it yet. Google and YouTube is your friend. I just took mine out of the box a couple of days ago.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I messed with the software programming last night. It's the way to go with these. You can do it manually in a pinch but PC programming is very simple.
fatcat3
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by fatcat3 »

I have the 5r+. watched youtube till I got it rite. it is a bear to program manually but at least I can now do it without a computer if I need to.
Space Ghost
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Space Ghost
Antenna: A pair of dipoles
Radio: 148GTL/Washington/Grant

Post by Space Ghost »

Got the 5R when they were $22 and change on Amazon. Ordered the programming cable and a Nagoya 771 antenna. I found in my case that the factory software was useless so I downloaded Chirp like others here have said. Worked perfectly and I have every repeater for a 200 mile radius programmed in. The stock battery life is tremendous and the receive is hot albeit, wide open. I have yet to try it on a base antenna and see what it will do but I may just go mobile with it if I find a really good mobile antenna.

It's a good little handheld for the price. You could even buy 6 of them for what you'd pay for a Kenyaecom.