Propagation Has Been Hopping...!

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.

Propagation Has Been Hopping...!

Post by 231 »

Hi everyone, hope all is well.

I am so bummed because I haven't been able to play radio much during the day because of work. But the few times I've been able to hop on the air there have been openings that are awesome! Even on 11m SSB I've been hearing allot of Australia, Europe, UK, etc. coming in which is very nice to hear for a change. I know allot of folks in the Southern and Eastern part of the USA have been working allot of it for awhile now and it's probably old hat. But in my neck of the woods it's just starting to open pretty regularly again which is really nice.

During the last solar cycle I sort of got bored with chasing DX but some of the outside North America stations I've been hearing (and working) lately have really been allot of fun I must admit. Sort of re-ignites the flame again for me. :icon_e_smile:

Love to hear some of the stations and locations you guys are working when you get a chance.

721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Re: Propagation Has Been Hopping...!

Post by 721HACKSAW »

Yes, very much the same here. For the past 1 1/2 years the DX cycle has been incredible, but about 2 months ago it seemed to drop off considerably... For the last couple of weeks though things have ramped right back up. I get European DX every morning through about noon, then conditions flip and the US west coast comes in..:)
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

I made a few contacts mobile yesterday. Via Bone Stock radio & K30 mag mount. That was fun. It was open early am, then in the afternoon here. Just like the good ole days! WHAOOOO! :cheers:
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

I don't get much over seas skip at all but I'm mobile that may or may not make a difference I don't know. 90 percent of my skip comes fro the west coast. I'm starting to get Canada a lot too. I've actually talked to the same stations day after day from Arizona and Canada. For whatever reason Arizona comes in like wild fire it's almost un real. Once in a while I'll hear Texas coming in strong. I don't get much of the UK it's very seldom. I hear 4444 almost every single day on his Obama radio in california. Triple 7 in Canada I hear every single day. 41 in Canada every single day. That all could change tomorrow and I never hear those guys again but I'm enjoying it for now. I wish I could hear more parts of the country though and not just so limited to the west coast. Back in June I was able to talk to New York a couple of times Boston once. I simply don't get skip from there now. Maybe winter will bring them back.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Sirio Vecotor 4K
Radio: Icom 746

Post by 222DBFL »

Maybe I will hear you silvereagle1, I will be in the Baltimore, MD area for work, I will listen for you on 38 lsb, think I heard you yesterday while driving up from the Daytona beach, FL area to where I am now. I am in Durham, NC and will be in Baltimore today and be he there for a few weeks. PM me if you want and I will be glad give some more contact info to you sir, love making contacts and radio friends. Never know when I might get sent to your neck of the woods as I travel for work. Cell site tech I am, going to be trouble shooting LTE for Att in the Baltimore area,not happy about the location but at least the kids will have a good Christmas. Anyway, god bless and hope to hear you on the air waves. 73's. 222 in the mobile, I'm standing by.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

222DBFL wrote:Maybe I will hear you silvereagle1, I will be in the Baltimore, MD area for work, I will listen for you on 38 lsb, think I heard you yesterday while driving up from the Daytona beach, FL area to where I am now. I am in Durham, NC and will be in Baltimore today and be he there for a few weeks. PM me if you want and I will be glad give some more contact info to you sir, love making contacts and radio friends. Never know when I might get sent to your neck of the woods as I travel for work. Cell site tech I am, going to be trouble shooting LTE for Att in the Baltimore area,not happy about the location but at least the kids will have a good Christmas. Anyway, god bless and hope to hear you on the air waves. 73's. 222 in the mobile, I'm standing by.
If you drove thru Knoxville on I40 or I75 you probably did hear me local. I was on 38 low side about all day. Be careful on those cell towers. I've got a cousin that was a cell tower tech and he had a bad fall about 10 years ago. Messed him up really bad. almost died. I don't get much skip from Maryland and around but I'll listen for your numbers.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee