Old Solid State Amp Score!

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.

Old Solid State Amp Score!

Post by 231 »

Picked up an old Metron A1000 desktop solid state amp yesterday through a friend for a great price. Never seen one before so I thought it might be fun to try in the shack if I can bring it online.

Looks like it runs 8ea of the PT9847 TRW pills in it on a push/pull. I sort of expected it'd be a power supplied version of the Metron MA1000B mobile amp (I own one) which indeed it appears to be...except for the finals. The MA1000B mobile amp has MRF455's in it which are Motorola transistors. I haven't fired it up yet but will here hopefully in the next week or so. I really need to locate the instruction manual or schematic to insure it's wired properly. I'm guessing the old guy had it wired for 230v which I have in the shack...but no telling how long ago this amp was run. I'm going to bring it up on my variac first just to be on the safe side.

It sure is a good looking old amp though...way ahead of it's time. Doesn't have 10m in it just 15-160m. I found a place online that sells the manuals for even this, but they want like $20 for it. None of my usual online sources have it listed, so I may have to cough up the cash for that manual. But if you guys know of a source I can download the manual I'd sure appreciate a PM with a link. I'm not much for solid state amplifiers in the shack, but what the heck...I figured it'd be something fun to try. It's not like I need it either but you never know. I've just not seen any of these on the used market in the past several years. So I said what the heck. Judging by what I'm finding online it should be an 800w amp, but really with the biasing I'd guess 600w. Which is perfectly fine. My tubers do quite a bit more but for a solid state not bad. Besides, it appears to be built with the same bullet proof layout as my MA1000B. Man that amp just has been a joy to own and fairly forgiving.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it goes. All my shack amps are tubers. In fact, I also picked up a pair of brand new in the box Eimac 3-500z's from looks like 1978 which preliminary testing shows they are good. Hopefully when I burn them in they won't be all gassy (story of my life LOL).

Whatcha' you guys think? Did I do okay?

dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Re: Old Solid State Amp Score!

Post by dirtyjob »

wow thats as we say here in New England" fricken awesome!! :lol:
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

Good Job!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna

Post by 231 »

Thanks guys. Yea, I'm pretty stoked about it too because in all honesty I thought it would be a pig inside needing complete disassembly and clean up prior to even considering firing it up. But it's fairly clean inside...so it won't require much I hope. Even the huge capacitors inside look new. Of course that might change the second they see come energy. If you guys on the East Coast hear a big boom followed by allot of smoke, no worries...it's just me out here on the West Coast with a set of bad caps. LOL

October 24 2013

I opened it up yesterday to look inside (couple more images added above) and it looks in pretty decent shape. Allot cleaner inside than I thought it'd be. Don't see anything fried on it and the finals appear okay. Even the capacitors look pretty good...but that doesn't mean anything. Transformers and big caps located under the boards shown. Even the fan underneath turns freely. Will be bringing it up slowly on the variac hopefully over the weekend and see if she smokes. I'll let you guys know how it goes.