Beginning of Success

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
Savoirfaire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Beginning of Success

Post by Savoirfaire »

Two of four or five ropes with pulleys for a loop antenna are up in the 55 foot to 65 fool range near the top of my trees.

Depending on whether I can get far enough back from CHOICE trees will determine how many sides my loop will have..

Definitely want at least a Square Loop for 4 sides.

Another amateur (Afghanistan veteran with a heart of gold) came with a slingshot and that just did not work as the fishing line kept getting tangled up in the slingshot's rubber sling.

Next he broke out a 1/4 inch piece of 4 inch metal tubing.

He loaded it up in the top with 1 inch nails and smaller metal.

He closed up the ends with dirt from the ground by pushing the metal tubing into it to seal.

He pushed the light end of the metal's dirt inward so the metal stayed toward the loaded end.

Finally, he kept the loaded top up and pitched the tubing end over end and EUREKA (success).

Not enough time to get the whole antenna up but shooting for the end of September so I will be ready when the long haul DX starts.

73 all, Frank 10 X-Ray 47 (SSB)

Amateur Radio Operator Too.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Re: Beginning of Success

Post by dirtyjob »

sounds great, keep us posted
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

Sounds like your getting things going over there! We still need to meet up one of these days lol
Savoirfaire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Savoirfaire »

I agree on meeting.

I know your work keeps you very busy.

Knowing when you are home and then I can catch up with you.

I may have to bite the bullet and get a part-time job too.

Bills keeping me too tight.

73, Frank 10 X-Ray 47 (SSB)
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

I am supposed to be home every Saturday and Sunday but 99% of the time I get called in. During the week I usually get home around 6pm but that isn't set in stone either because I have to stay until 7pm sometimes and/or my schedule gets changed to nightshift to cover for someone being out.

I need to get a 2m HT to keep in the car so I can chat with folks during my commute. I used to have a nice little ICOM dual band but got rid of it years ago.

Checked in to the NVTN (Northern Virginia Traffic Net for those that dont know what the abbreviation is) tonight on 147.300, it was kinda dead, not many folks checking in. I think there were only 15 check-ins tonight. Back when I first got into HAM there were tons of people checking into the net and it would have the repeater tied up for 45 mins to an hour most nights. I bet it was over in less than 15 minutes tonight lol.
Savoirfaire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Savoirfaire »

I spend most of my time on 147.255 with PL of 123 , but I listen on 147.300 too.

I will catch up wtih you and when convenient have some coffee or view qth's.

73, Frank