G5RV for field day/mobile quick setups

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
Punkin Head

G5RV for field day/mobile quick setups

Post by Punkin Head »

Ok, I have been thinking and I have a G5RV that is in my basement unused. I got on Paint and did a little scribbling and came up with something that I think might work with 1 addition. I may have to make the addition because I havent found the one I seen a while back online. It was a collapsible mast that had a plate on the bottom you parked your rear tire on to hold it in place. then use the top of the mast to support your wire antenna or light weight antenna. You could guy it off if needed but on a calm day with a G5RV it would be good for me.

I live near some mountains and could drive up the mountain when conditions are good and set up and see who all I could work.

Here is the crude drawing, please give input and suggestions, constructive criticism. You wont hurt my feelings LOL

bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Re: G5RV for field day/mobile quick setups

Post by bluemeanie »

If you had a receiver hitch on your vehicle you could build a receiver mount and then guy if you need too.
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Yes
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom

Post by Slyguy »

Why don't you just send me the G5RV and call it a day.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by Bombero »

Slyguy wrote:Why don't you just send me the G5RV and call it a day.
Hey PH..

Yep...Sly wants it just so he can keep you from getting all the skip/DX.

Bombero
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.

383 Boogieman

Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

Bombero wrote:
Slyguy wrote:Why don't you just send me the G5RV and call it a day.
Hey PH..

Yep...Sly wants it just so he can keep you from getting all the skip/DX.

Bombero
I know lol. I think it would be awesome on a mountain top set up running a 100w mobile thru a G5RV. Who needs power when you have a mountain! haha
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slyguy »

It is Christmas time after all.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

I imagine it would work but it's a lot of 'extra' trouble with no particular benefit. Finding that base would be one way of providing a base for an antenna support. But then, a tree would do the same thing and be even simpler. You'd have to find that tree though.
A G5RV does have some requirements though. That section of 'ladder line' in the matching network needs to be away from things (as much as possible) to let it do it's job. That means a 40 foot(?) support or some means of keeping it away from things that will alter it's impedance. No sharp bends either. A G5RV is a fairly good compromise multiband antenna if you have a reasonable tuner. A lot of how well it works depends on the ability of the tuner and if the frequency of use has a harmonic relationship to 20 meters. It works very well on 20 meters, not so well on any other bands.
If it's all that you have to use, then by all means use it.
- 'Doc
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

Once I get to the point of using it mobile like that, I will have a screwdriver on the truck also. But I figured something like that would be neat up on a tall hill or small mountain to get better performance and better local and dx contacts. I had it up before and it worked well on 20, 40, and 75/80. Thats where I made most of my contacts. After talking with another ham friend The design will probably be scrapped and redone. I am looking at some of those military mast kits that you can get surplus, has several fiberglass or aluminum rods that you put together and use that to support the center of the antenna. Then get each leg as close to a 45* angle as you can. and go with it. It will require a little more rope work, ie guy rope, and rope to hold each leg of the antenna. But the kit is completely portable and I could keep it in my Bronco until I am ready to deploy it.
shaggy7705
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 102" SS WHIP
Radio: SuperStar 3900GHP

Post by shaggy7705 »

Punkin Head wrote:Once I get to the point of using it mobile like that, I will have a screwdriver on the truck also. But I figured something like that would be neat up on a tall hill or small mountain to get better performance and better local and dx contacts. I had it up before and it worked well on 20, 40, and 75/80. Thats where I made most of my contacts. After talking with another ham friend The design will probably be scrapped and redone. I am looking at some of those military mast kits that you can get surplus, has several fiberglass or aluminum rods that you put together and use that to support the center of the antenna. Then get each leg as close to a 45* angle as you can. and go with it. It will require a little more rope work, ie guy rope, and rope to hold each leg of the antenna. But the kit is completely portable and I could keep it in my Bronco until I am ready to deploy it.

A 102 foot wide multiband antenna deployable on a mobile. Cant wait to see it! :mrgreen: It will be a sight to see. I'm curious how its going to be secured and mounted :)
Shaggy(705)Said that.
73's
Base
Galaxy DX 2517
Golden Eagle D104
2x Pyramid 52psk
Commstar 2xSD1446
Antron 99
Mobile
Superstar 3900GHP/Galaxy Pluto Hybrid
Midnight Special 500 4x2SC2879
102" SS Whip
Astatic 575M6
Slim Pickins
Donor
Donor
Handle: Slim Pickins
Call Sign: VE1PEW
Radio: Realistic Navajo 457

Post by Slim Pickins »

I was using my G5RV recently and has a discussion with a ham on 17m about how it would make for a good field day/portable set-up. No reason it won't work.

73,Slim
73,Slim

Insanity is hereditary......you get it from your children.
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Slyguy »

One thing about using a multi band antenna on field day. Your going to have a better chance getting interference from the rigs running close by. If your running 40m with the G5RV and another rig is running 20M......Well the G5RV may resonate real good from a 20 meter signal and wipe out your receive. We have slight issues running a few single band antennas during events. It can get annoying after a while. I guess it also depends on how far apart the antennas are as well.
As far as running up the mountain and setting it up. Now that sounds like a great time.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas