staying legal

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.

Re: staying legal

Post by 231 »

517 squirrel wrote:I honestly think hams are cool I've wanted to get my license for the last few months BUT finding the time to take the test is gonna be hard I usually work from 6 am till 5 pm and don't get home till almost 7 so how would I be able to take a test with a screwed up schedule like that my weekends are always up in the air due to being on call service tech for generators any info would be great thanks
Well, being on call it's tough. But you can start by simply googling "cb clubs by my town" or major city. There will be several hits, and you'll need to just check out their site. Most will tell when testing session are, and you can simply plan around that. Usually it'll be on a Saturday between 9am-1pm or something. But if you can make it great, if you can't catch it next time. It's not like you have to make reservations. Although some clubs will give exams just that way having VE's (volunteer examiners) they'll pull together with an appointment to give an exam. Other events often will have test sessions too, like hamfest (flea market events), etc. Just be prepared to spend the $14 and ID and take the test. You can take practice exams on line too to prepare for the exams. Just google that and you'll find several.

Ham isn't for everyone, and certainly wasn't for me for years. But after being exposed to a couple of true hams, I decided to do it. I don't regret it either, but I still enjoy most of 11m. I would recommend studying for both the technician and general though. The general exam isn't that much harder if I recall and if you pass the technician, you can then take the general without having to pay again. General will give you HF priveleges from 160m - all of 10m and wattage limit of 1,500w. Might as well kill two birds with one stone if you can.

Good luck.
beermaster
Donor
Donor
Antenna: GainMaster/Wilson 1K
Radio: 979, 75822, ALPHA 10

Post by beermaster »

kapi-0465 wrote:I have been running with my CB radio for years,,, always staying legal, wattage and frequencies, I wanted more so I studied, took a test and became a ham operator. I have talked DX with only 4 watts and my quad antenna on CB. Now I can run 200W and have the pleasure of operating different bands with a bunch of great people. I do see an intrusion into 10 meters by 11 M folks. Hey why do it illegally? Became a ham, keep your cb heritage and your cbs for that matter. Use them well and legally for a happier place for everyone. Ham radio as opened many doors for me and if you try it you will see what I mean.
Do you drive speed limit, as well? Haven't you had any alcohol before 21? ....
Brewmaster
---
524 Chicago, 38 LSB

yamaha
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: A99,M103,60rohn
Radio: 2950DX--2000GTL

Post by yamaha »

It's a double standard
2950DX - 2000GTL - 148GTL - 29LTD - 19Plus - 3300HP - DX959 - Galaxy SIRIUS (some type of RCI creation)
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

kapi-0465 wrote:I have been running with my CB radio for years,,, always staying legal, wattage and frequencies, I wanted more so I studied, took a test and became a ham operator. I have talked DX with only 4 watts and my quad antenna on CB. Now I can run 200W and have the pleasure of operating different bands with a bunch of great people. I do see an intrusion into 10 meters by 11 M folks. Hey why do it illegally? Became a ham, keep your cb heritage and your cbs for that matter. Use them well and legally for a happier place for everyone. Ham radio as opened many doors for me and if you try it you will see what I mean.
DX on 11 meters isn't legal...
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

A CB radio that is legal is the exception not the rule. That is why it is the "Outlaw Band. :icon_e_smile:

If you want to talk about radios, computers, and how the grass is growing in your neighborhood, then you should become a Ham operator. :icon_e_surprised: