where to buy a Yaesu

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v

where to buy a Yaesu

Post by hilltop 439 »

I was just wondering were a good place to purchase a Yaesu FT 897d would be ? I really like this radio it is everything i am looking for .
If anyone has one or has any opinions on this radio i would love to hear from you.
... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Re: where to buy a Yaesu

Post by drdx »

The radio will be the same no matter where you buy it. Check, and I'm not sure, but maybe one of our sponsors are dealers, and if not I've used HRO and AES with good luck. Just look for the best deal.

Yaesu is a fine product line and that particular model is easy to modify for expanded frequency transmit. That radio is nice but if you like lots of knobs and a big case rig, it is not for you. Something as simple as changing the power output means going into a menu function so keep that in mind but the radio does offer a lot of variety for what it is and it is known for its ruggedness.

Depending on your needs, remember that these radios don't offer a booming sound on am transmit as they're not specifically designed for it but on ssb and in other respects if used for 11m use it will, as other hf rigs, blow away anything in the cb/export realm.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by hilltop 439 »

Ok drdx thanks. I am not really focusing on how well it performs on AM or even if it can be used on 11 meters . I have a couple of 11 meter AM audio monsters already sitting on the desk hear beside me . What i am needing is a nice Ham rig that i can get started with . Just got my tech licence and all i have is a
Radio shack HTX 212 2 meter rig that is quite limited in what it can do and were it can go . I would like to have a radio with all in one capabilities band and modes and not restricted to the use of AC power . The Yaesu ft 897d is just the ticket i am looking for.
... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...
Radio 75

Post by Radio 75 »

Congrats on the ticket hilltop!
Start studying for your General, where you will be able to use that new Yaesu to its fullest extent.
I really like the folks a AES. The web addy is aesham.com
hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by hilltop 439 »

Thank you for the congrats Radio 75 . I am curently studying for General now there is another exam in April I'll be there and ready. I'll have a look at the web site you listed.
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

I personally like Ham Radio Outlet. Keep in mind you will receive a few different catalogs in the mail as soon as your license hits the system. I personally love the 897d I want one as well.
hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by hilltop 439 »

They are a neet radio for sure the cheapest i have found them is at the site you suggested for around 900 dollars . I have my sights set on one and with some overtime and odd jobs i'll be talking on one in a few months.
I did not know about the catalogs in the mail that is cool none of the hams i know told me about that.
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Yeah it was cool. I got a bunch of stuff in the mail a few weeks after I got my ticket. I had a chance to visit a Ham Radio Outlet when I was in Denver. Very nice guys. Very knowledgeable and great prices.

I am gonna buy a Yaesu VX-7R in a couple of months. The 897d is cool because its also a good Man-pack tactical type rig. Which I love
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

I've found that HRO is very friendly. I have visited a few locations of HRO and one AES and they were both fine but HRO was really nice and more of a family atmosphere, especially in the Phoenix store. Hey Gunny, there is an HRO not terribly far from you up in Sunnyvale I think near the Lawrence Expy in Sunnyvale if it is still there. It would be a road trip but if you were in the area stop by. I was in there probably 4 years ago and they were nice but the store is kinda small.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Yeah drdx, I saw that store. I happened to be in Denver before I had a chance to drive up to Sunnyvale. Its less then two hours from me but, two hours nonetheless. I spent a bit of time talking to the guys in Denver. I am always impressed when I tell a salesman that I dont want to buy that day and they still spend time with me.

It turns out that they can ship to me for less money then I can drive to Sunnyvale.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Yeah, I'm 15 minutes away from Texas Towers. I've shopped there since 1983, easily spending $15k or more in there over the years on hf rigs, tower stuff, used items, coax, etc. but I quit going there because the staff has the personality of a stump. Now that I'm a father, I take my 5 year old in there. They have a coke machine and he loves a good Sprite. So, I buy the drink and let him bounce around in there like a wild house ape turning on and off the hf rigs while I look at gear and buy what I need, and these days it is only coax as it is way cheaper to go with an out of state dealer on a bigger item so I can pass on the state sales tax and having to deal with those guys. They had a great sales person in there years ago. He was so great that Yaesu picked him up for a sales job and since then it was never the same. He then offered ME his old job but I knew the owner was a grouch so I passed and I'm glad I did. If you enjoy the "soup **Censored**" version of ham radio, stop on by sometime. You're sure to get ignored for the first 10 minutes then they probably won't have what you need. Once, they were on "backorder" for LMR400 coax for months. You'd think that in a market so dim they would have bright smiles.

I walked into HRO and they guy was super personal and I was only spending $150 and being an out of towner he knew I probably wouldn't be back but was great. AES in Vegas and in the old Clearwater, Fl. location had nice friendly staff too, and I've even done pleasant trade-in deals with Milwaukee with great success and more than fair trade-in values.

-drdx

-drdx