Marine VHF

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
Mikey B
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 WX NW ST

Marine VHF

Post by Mikey B »

I haven't had much time to contribute to the site lately, but I'm hoping you all can help me out. Whenever we go on a moose hunt (have been on 1 a year for the past 10 years) every truck has a CB. Cell reception in these areas is very bad (northern Maine). I was thinking about going with a Marine radio Because they are rather inexpensive. The questions I have are, which radios are good, and what would I use for an antenna? If anyone has any experience with using a marine radio in the woods, please share your experience and suggestions.

Thanks fellas
"We have room for but one flag, the American Flag. We have room for but one language, the English language, and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. " - - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt.
KB1TBF
"B-DOG"
SmallTruckBigRadio

Re: Marine VHF

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio »

Mikey B wrote:I haven't had much time to contribute to the site lately, but I'm hoping you all can help me out. Whenever we go on a moose hunt (have been on 1 a year for the past 10 years) every truck has a CB. Cell reception in these areas is very bad (northern Maine). I was thinking about going with a Marine radio Because they are rather inexpensive. The questions I have are, which radios are good, and what would I use for an antenna? If anyone has any experience with using a marine radio in the woods, please share your experience and suggestions.

Thanks fellas

Mississippi hunters commonly use Marine VHF. It cuts through the trees better than a stock CB, and the radios automatically come ready for 25 watts.

I'd find a flexible steel whip Marine VHF antenna. The stiff fiberglass types may be more likely to break.

I think ***Censored*** has some connections to VHF marine radios. Give them a call.

BassProShops has some for about $100
http://www.basspro.com/webapp ... rchResults

I'm just not sure what cuts through the trees better, 25w VHF, or 300w CB?
Also, other users must have the same frequency. You might be getting out 25 miles, but if there is no-one else on your frequency, you might as well have a coaches whistle.
PA629

Post by PA629 »

Without getting into a big discussion concerning the legality issue, just don't get caught. Agencies such as the Coast Guard get a bit testy about unauthorized usage of marine freqs. Years back, a couple truck drivers locally were caught and prosecuted for using marine radios in their trucks. I am, however, located on the shores of Lake Erie and quite close to the CG station. Your location may be safer..........
SmallTruckBigRadio

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio »

PA629 wrote:Without getting into a big discussion concerning the legality issue, just don't get caught. Agencies such as the Coast Guard get a bit testy about unauthorized usage of marine freqs. Years back, a couple truck drivers locally were caught and prosecuted for using marine radios in their trucks. I am, however, located on the shores of Lake Erie and quite close to the CG station. Your location may be safer..........
I agree. Good Point PA629.

If you are near a navigable waterway, be especially careful to stay away from the common hailing frequencies like Marine ch16.
There are plenty of other channels available on marine vhf to chatter on without bugging others.
Tieing up a dedicated marine frequency, can be a real safety issue, and can get you in much trouble.

I work near the Ohio River, and on occasion we have had to use our workplace Marine VHF to help the Coast Gaurd,and local Police / Fire depts to handle emergencies on the river. If we would have been interfered with by nonsense chatter, we would probably contact Military Cryptologic (CT's), to locate the location and voice signature of the person interfering. Yes they have the technology to do that. That's how they are catching some of the Raghead Terrorists in the Middle East. So, be careful.

Or, just stay with CB.
linx

Post by linx »

I've never used one, but lots of locals do here that are not hams. Like PA says, I'd watch yourself. I know you're a ham Mikey, but if your friends aren't, you COULD get in trouble...not saying you will. I mean, look at all the folks running illegal power on CB's that never get caught.

Post by 231 »

You know, I never really thought about it until you guys mentioned it? But would a guy be better off freebanding rather than using the VHF? I mean, the equipment would at least be dual use, and simply slide frequency some to get away from the "other guys." What's the difference if you use VHF illegally or freeband? I think I'd consider using funnies rather than the VHF given what the guys have shared. But of course that would limit radios pretty much to mounted rigs only, where on VHF you have available both hand helds and mounted radios.

If you decide to go VHF, I had the Icom IC-M304 in my boat and it worked pretty well. But like any set up the antenna system is very important. I used a base loaded Shakespear which also seemed to do pretty well. It was about the size of a Wilson 1k.

Just a few thoughts.
Mikey B
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 WX NW ST

Post by Mikey B »

I am pretty aware of the issues with this. Alot of the bear hunters in this area use marine radios. I would obviously stay away from the most used frequencies. We would also be at least 200+ miles away (through the woods and mountians) from the nearest waterway where radios are used.
"We have room for but one flag, the American Flag. We have room for but one language, the English language, and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. " - - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt.
KB1TBF
"B-DOG"
cajunham
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Cajunham
Call Sign: N5PZJ
Antenna: 50 FT TOWER WITH DIPOLES
Radio: 7300

Post by cajunham »

Most folks are not aware that Marine VHF Frequencies are re used in inland areas away from waterway/river/lake/ocean areas for Law Enforcement backup and inputs/outputs on repeaters. Refarmed frequency can show up in the damndest areas, had a friend who insisted using marine VHF radios in East Tennessee around Servierville, TN and found out the hard way, got his radios in both trucks (pulling campers from the Bayou) confiscated. OUCH.

Marine VHF is very judisiciously guarded by the coast guard (Dept of Homeland security), not a bunch to toy with.

Get a ham license, no need to flirt with disaster unnecessarily.
Ronin
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Ronin or 921
Antenna: Imax
Radio: Pro-810e, 139XLR 142GTL

Post by Ronin »

This is an old thread, and I certainly don't want to sound like the "radio police", but something else to consider if using the marine frequncies. VHF has different propagation characteristics than HF and CB. A rather common type of propagation on VHF is tropospheric ducting. Tropo (as it is called) can extend your VHF signal several hundred miles, even the lower powered handhelds. I have worked 2 handhelds on 2meter FM simplex over the past several years that were about about 150 miles away during Tropo openings. Nothing special, just 5 watt handhelds and stock antennas. Another form of propagation that occurs less frequently is called Sporadic E (Sporadic because it is not enhanced by and does not require solar activity and can occur at any time...and E becasue it uses the E layer of the atmosphere). Sporadic E DX is normally about 1000 miles, but can extend further under ideal conditions.

The problem is that especially during the "off seasons" for recreational boating, you may not hear something on your end that would alert you that your signal is traveling that far. One other consideration is that the USCG can triangulate quickly because of the nature of rescue operations, and the relatively short and low powered transmissions.

Just saying that it is risky when there are other similiar radio options such as MURS or even talking your friends into getting their tech ham license where a 2 meter handheld or mobile is as inexpensive as the marine radios. It's like Russian Roullette when you use a band that is known for being monitored 24/7, 365 days a year by government, military and sometimes law enforcement.
goofy
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by goofy »

My advice would be to just get your Technician class ham license...

Its not that hard to do.

That way you can talk on 144-148MHZ and 420-450MHZ.
You can run all the power you can conceivably need.

All kinds of gear available, new and used..
And repeaters are available, which will help you get out...
goofy
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by goofy »

Another option is GMRS, which just requires sending off for the license, no exam (although the tech class ham license is easy)..

GMRS lets you run up to 50 watts in the area of 460MHZ..

GMRS radios are not just the little blister pack things you see at the sporting good stores, you can also get vehicle units and units that take an external antenna
BobCB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: Bigdog
Antenna: A99, Browning BR-140
Radio: Cobra 25LTD(varies)

Post by BobCB »

Everyone seems to forget about MURS. It has a 2watt limit, however, but it is basically a slot between FRS and HAM VHF; it requires no license. MURS handhelds typically sell for close to the same amount as a marine handheld.

You could also buy a business band portable. These come in VHF and UHF. Most are limited to 2 watts but there are some that do 5.

This is an old thread so I'm sure you've already decided by now, just thought I'd add this for future reference.
854/BigDog in Central Alabama
goofy
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by goofy »

A MURs unit isn't going to cost any less than a GMRS unit, I don't really see any advantage...

The best approach is just getting a technician class amateur license.. More frequencies, more equipment, more power, better antennas..
BobCB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: Bigdog
Antenna: A99, Browning BR-140
Radio: Cobra 25LTD(varies)

Post by BobCB »

goofy wrote:A MURs unit isn't going to cost any less than a GMRS unit, I don't really see any advantage...

The best approach is just getting a technician class amateur license.. More frequencies, more equipment, more power, better antennas..
And a whole lot more cost to it.

The average hunter isn't going to want to go through the trouble of buying amateur equipment, paying for a license, studying for the license exam. If he hunts with a group then everyone in his group would have to study and get their license as well as their own equipment. All this for a hunt that he goes on once a year? Not worth it. Not to mention there are certain protocols for using VHF or UHF equipment, you can't just key up and say, "Hey Bubba, you see any moose tracks down by the creek?" not going to happen with HAM radio.
854/BigDog in Central Alabama
cajunham
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Cajunham
Call Sign: N5PZJ
Antenna: 50 FT TOWER WITH DIPOLES
Radio: 7300

Post by cajunham »

BobCB wrote:
goofy wrote:A MURs unit isn't going to cost any less than a GMRS unit, I don't really see any advantage...

And a whole lot more cost to it.

The average hunter isn't going to want to go through the trouble of buying amateur equipment, paying for a license, studying for the license exam. If he hunts with a group then everyone in his group would have to study and get their license as well as their own equipment. All this for a hunt that he goes on once a year? Not worth it. Not to mention there are certain protocols for using VHF or UHF equipment, you can't just key up and say, "Hey Bubba, you see any moose tracks down by the creek?" not going to happen with HAM radio.
1. Amateur Radio equipment is only beat in price by bubble pack radio in frs/gmrs so much for that one, heck, a handheld VHF/UHF from China can be had for a c note and some change.

2. What protocols? Lots of informal conversations take place on amateur Radio like that one, just we identify every 10 minutes that's all.

3. As far as the licensing, you determine how lazy you want to be, if you are playing around with radio (RF) anyhow, the tech test is a breeze, no code required.

Some State do not allow Radio Assisted hunts and the Possum cops are onto Marine Radio and the like.