IC-7000 - 11M AM?

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
doofoo
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

IC-7000 - 11M AM?

Post by doofoo »

Is the IC-7000 possible to use on 11M AM with any mods out there?

If anyone has done it, what antenna's are you using mobile or base? (I think the IC-7000 has HF & then 2M+ antenna jacks?)

How does it sound? Any opinions much appreciated.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: IC-7000 - 11M AM?

Post by Night Crawler »

doofoo wrote:Is the IC-7000 possible to use on 11M AM with any mods out there?
Do the MARS modification.
http://www.hampedia.net/icom/ ... o-mars.php

Post by 231 »

doofoo wrote:Is the IC-7000 possible to use on 11M AM with any mods out there?

If anyone has done it, what antenna's are you using mobile or base? (I think the IC-7000 has HF & then 2M+ antenna jacks?)

How does it sound? Any opinions much appreciated.
Mine sounds okay to decent on AM. Although it's not a CB so don't expect that (especially on AM receive). It's not hard to overload the AGC with stronger signals which takes a few seconds to recover. Sideband is where it shines though. And yes, there are 2 SO-239's on the back, one for HF and the other for VHF/UHF. The IC-7000 also has 70cm in it. Mine has the MARS / CAPS and the TV mod done. I love mine, but I don't do hardly any AM.

Mine is primarily mobile now, but I ran it on the base for almost a year using my Imax and wire dipoles without a hitch. It did fine...especially with a decent boom mic set up. I have a 80m-6m screwdriver antenna I run on the truck, and a 2m Hustler 5/8 wave base load that does okay. I don't do any UHF so I don't have an antenna on the truck for that. I run my 10m/11m antenna mono-bander on the 3/8 x 24 mount that my 2m antenna is on when I want to play on those bands.

Good luck.
doofoo
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by doofoo »

I'm looking to run this on HF PSK31 mostly. I am just getting back into the hobby now and trying to find out if I can work PSK31 with the IC-7000 in an townhouse. Not sure what antenna's will work for me.

Right now I'm looking at the MFJ-1788 Loop, hoping that will be good enough since I can't run antennas outside of my townhouse.

Have any of you guys run that, or any other space constricted antenna's? How about PSK31 or other digital modes, what does your setup look like? Much appreciated!

Post by 231 »

doofoo wrote:I'm looking to run this on HF PSK31 mostly. I am just getting back into the hobby now and trying to find out if I can work PSK31 with the IC-7000 in an townhouse. Not sure what antenna's will work for me.

Right now I'm looking at the MFJ-1788 Loop, hoping that will be good enough since I can't run antennas outside of my townhouse.

Have any of you guys run that, or any other space constricted antenna's? How about PSK31 or other digital modes, what does your setup look like? Much appreciated!
I do quite a bit of PSK-31 and enjoy it. The IC-7000 is easily up to the task. But first thing you need to keep in mind is it's full duty cycle, so you'll only be running about 20w-30w. The IC-7000 runs warm anyway, and it's going to run even warmer with PSK.

I would try an indoor dipole before I do a magnetic loop. Assuming you are going to be doing 20m, build a trapped dipole in an inverted 'V' for 20m. I've talked with guys using the magnetic loop and although it tunes up okay and looks efficient, it's hit/miss on if it works to expectations. Besides, that loop is expensive! I think I'd try a loaded trap dipole to fit indoors first. The worst you are going to be out is a few bucks for materials. Once that is established though you'll have something to compare to on the magnetic loop. Some of the guys opted for screwdriver antennas which I think is a good choice, too. But again, they are expensive. You might even check in to the Isotron. I'm not a fan of them, but I've talked to guys on 75m running them and I couldn't believe that's what they were running. Of course they couldn't hear a 20 over 9 signal...but they aren't near as expensive. LOL!

With the digital stuff it's just not going to be as critical if you have more noise...or so has been my experience. The signals seem to pop right through allot of that on my station. I just run a 20m resonant dipole on 20m and do very well with 20w. Same thing on 40m PSK.

Hope that helps a little.
doofoo
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by doofoo »

231 wrote:
doofoo wrote:I'm looking to run this on HF PSK31 mostly. I am just getting back into the hobby now and trying to find out if I can work PSK31 with the IC-7000 in an townhouse. Not sure what antenna's will work for me.

I do quite a bit of PSK-31 and enjoy it. The IC-7000 is easily up to the task. But first thing you need to keep in mind is it's full duty cycle, so you'll only be running about 20w-30w. The IC-7000 runs warm anyway, and it's going to run even warmer with PSK.

I would try an indoor dipole before I do a magnetic loop. Assuming you are going to be doing 20m, build a trapped dipole in an inverted 'V' for 20m. I've talked with guys using the magnetic loop and although it tunes up okay and looks efficient, it's hit/miss on if it works to expectations. Besides, that loop is expensive! I think I'd try a loaded trap dipole to fit indoors first. The worst you are going to be out is a few bucks for materials. Once that is established though you'll have something to compare to on the magnetic loop. Some of the guys opted for screwdriver antennas which I think is a good choice, too. But again, they are expensive. You might even check in to the Isotron. I'm not a fan of them, but I've talked to guys on 75m running them and I couldn't believe that's what they were running. Of course they couldn't hear a 20 over 9 signal...but they aren't near as expensive. LOL!

With the digital stuff it's just not going to be as critical if you have more noise...or so has been my experience. The signals seem to pop right through allot of that on my station. I just run a 20m resonant dipole on 20m and do very well with 20w. Same thing on 40m PSK.

Hope that helps a little.
The only issue I had with the dipole and other attic antenna's was that I have cathedral ceilings and as such I don't really have an "attic" per se.. I just have one little area above my master bedroom closet. I don't think enough space for any of the attic solutions that need 10's of feet in all directions. Kind of sucks. :(

My townhouse is all wood construction though so really I don't think I'll see too many issues with the magnetic loop..

I have an Astron 25 Amp power supply right now I used on my V8000 at my last house - so for the house I am good on power. I believe the MFJ magnetic loop already has an antenna tuner built in I believe? Just trying to figure out what I'll need as far as interfaces for the IC-7000 to get up and running with PSK31. I do hope to do some SSB work as well so the magnetic loop is appealing since it covers more bands.

What type of gear do you have for the entire setup?

-Mike

Post by 231 »

I'm just running some pretty simple stuff here. But that'll teach to ask. :icon_e_wink:

Best of luck on the loop and let us know how it works out. I think you'll have allot of fun with it.

Bump.

:icon_e_wink: