Fav Antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.

Which antenna do you prefer

Wilson 1000
20%
Wilson 5000
26%
102"
23%
MR. Coily
3%
Predator 10K
20%
monkey made
5%
stargun
1%
55 antennas
2%
bozo made
1%

Total votes: 877

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy959&cobra

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by Capndave »

I went the web site for wilson and says A barjan company at the bottom of the page. :pirat:
djrebel236

Post by djrebel236 »

leave it go Pro-Teck, if ya dont like wilsons then dont buy one, keep on buying the junk that you sale, ...Dj
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor
Radio: Any radio I want.

Post by Pro-Tech »

Your signature says "Don't argue with an idiot......" That's great advice and shows you are more intellegent than the usuall duck so I won't argue with you. You are a major player in the industry and are more knowledgable than the rest of us. :puke_r:
Hazelnut 7201
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: hazelnut
Radio: General Lee

Post by Hazelnut 7201 »

djrebel236 wrote:leave it go Pro-Teck, if ya dont like wilsons then dont buy one, keep on buying the junk that you sale, ...Dj
Wow! That wasn't necessary. :icon_e_surprised:

What is wrong with being proud of our country and supporting what industry we have left? China already owns enough of the United States.
and Please expand on your term "junk", how about some numbers and tests. Is the Wilson quiter than a SkipShooter?
I was thinking about trying a SkipShooter II, I like its narrow profile.
Have a nice day.

Hazelnut
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor

Post by Pro-Tech »

OMG! Check out that duck's web site! He mentions he is a proud American and has references to 9/11. :puke_l:
Cj1
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Cj1
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Radio: Roadpro Titan II

Post by Cj1 »

i use a Wilson 200 trucker on my vehicle and get out great!
122 NYC
Tram D300
Yeticom MK2
Cobra 200
President Lincoln
President HR 2510
Uniden 2830(CS)
RCI 2950/70
LiL Wil
Wilson 5000 Trucker
102" Steel Whip
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

No doubt ,my buddy uses a trucker with a northstar radio and he gave me a shout from auburn ny and I live near saratoga and he sounded great!,as long as it is tuned in right any antenna works out real well :pirat: .
Hazelnut 7201
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: hazelnut
Radio: General Lee

Post by Hazelnut 7201 »

I apologize for bringing this back up, I found this while researching something else. I am not chosing sides, I only accept what I read as being a legally acceptable declaration by the company. "Made in the USA" is subject to many interpretations. I have no plans for a road trip to E.Moline.

The following paragraph is copied from Wilson's Technical Support pages:
http://www.wilsonantenna.com/tsmyths.htm

1. NO - The Wilson antennas are not made in China, Japan, or Taiwan.
When Barjan Products LLC., purchased Wilson Antenna in August of 1999, we saw no reason to change the way the antennas were manufactured. For 6 months, Barjan sent a staff of management, supervisors and production line workers to Wilson to learn the correct way to manufacture antennas. In December of 1999, we moved the complete factory to E. Moline, Illinois - lock, stock and barrel! We moved all the manufacturing equipment to the new location and continue to manufacture the complete line of Wilson products from this new location. You are invited to come see for yourself anytime and take a tour of the facility. Maintaining the quality of the antenna and its production is still the #1 theme at Wilson Antenna.
Have a nice day.

Hazelnut
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

I have recently purchased a viper 52" whip and am going to marry it to my sparkified 29 chrome with RFX 75 finals I keep you informed,all must still bow to the mighty wilson!!!!!! :rambo:
RVCB
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by RVCB »

I love my Wilson 1000 on the top of an old F250.

I find it interesting to see the Wilson 1000/5000 family has 42% of the vote so far.

Wow.
Pro-Tech
Donor
Donor

Post by Pro-Tech »

Has any one been to this place in Illinois? If so are the Wilson brand just assembled there or if you actually took the tour would you see boxes from china were the whips and shafts are made? Do they actually have a machine that winds thier famous copper coils? Or do they come pre made from China ready to assemble? The next time I go and visit our dealers in the mid west I am going to stop by and take the tour and check out the dumpters for the packaging thier raw materials come in.

Back in the early 90's I used to work at a Wal-Mart distribution center in Memphis. The commercials on TV back then promoted how they will sell American made brands. Well my job was a verifier for this red neck operation. That consisted of verifying merchandise that would go to each store, thier way of double checking that each trailer had exactly what the invoices said. They gave me a walking meter to verify that I actually walked so many miles each day to prove I was doing my job. Well during these miles of daily verification I never counted any products made in a Amercia except for dog houses that looked like igloos. But Wal-Mart paid millions of dollars advertising how they are helping American businesses.

We back out reading the mail. 8)
southerntrucker
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: cobra 29GTL

Post by southerntrucker »

iv got a 102in whip on my truck and its tha best antanna iv used so far. iv tried wilsons and 10k's but i always had problems with them. so i went and got 2 102in whips. aint had any problem with them yet. their both hooked up and my swr's are 1.2 :)
Last edited by southerntrucker on July 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just another dag-gum mudduck!
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

I just bought a viper 52"and I am going to install it with the tram tri mag mount and my 29 with the RFX,we'll see what that does. :rambo:
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

all I have to say is not bad,just hooked up my new antenna to my sparkified cobra and the result is impressive.the tram tri-mag mount is tough,it came with tramflex wire installed.I did what instructions said,I measured four inches from the bottom of the whip and slide down the coil to the mark,I adjusted the SWR knob a touch and I keyed up and got good reports.So if anyone is thinking about getting a viper antenna,do it.I am impressed,I was going to get a 10k but I decide to to try this one,this has to be the easiest antenna to tune that ive ever used.I am a staunch Wilson fan,but this antenna is just as good.10-10 on the side.
arbutler
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by arbutler »

Could you put a Predator 10K on a spring then on a magnetic mount?
Just wondering!
Thanks!
AKblue
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Radio: Galaxy 33+

Post by AKblue »

102" 6" spring, hit OR and Australia, but that was back in th 90's.
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave »

A 10k on the mag mount would work good,the spring I dont know about.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

I run, for drive around, a 10k single coil with the 9 inch shaft, so that would be the best case scenario for running with a spring. I played with it and with a few inches off the stinger ( I used an old wilson stinger I had) it matched fine but using a stainless steel potbelly whip spring it is not stiff enough for my taste. There is just too much wind drag. This was all on a puck mount in the roof but same deal on a mag mount deck. The 10k has a fat shaft, fat spring, and is long, and has a lot of wind drag, so there you have it. My single coil 10k tunes out at about 6 1/2 foot long, just 2 foot shy of a real whip, so why not do the real whip if you have the strength in the mount? It would be cheaper, more efficient, and more rugged. In my case the whip it puts it too tall and in overpass country but works great while stationary.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
southerntrucker
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: cobra 29GTL

Post by southerntrucker »

a 10k on a spring? i dont think so. i mean, if u wanna do that than you can. but i wouldnt recamend it. i seen a rock hauler down their in mississippi. he had an old spring with a 10k on it and the whip on the 10k was about 5in from the ground!!! it looked freakin stupid! i fell outta my seat laughing when i saw it! lol oh and another thing......that spring will mess with ur swr's too.
Just another dag-gum mudduck!
wegarrett

Post by wegarrett »

southerntrucker wrote:a 10k on a spring? i dont think so. i mean, if u wanna do that than you can. but i wouldnt recamend it. i seen a rock hauler down their in mississippi. he had an old spring with a 10k on it and the whip on the 10k was about 5in from the ground!!! it looked freakin stupid! i fell outta my seat laughing when i saw it! lol oh and another thing......that spring will mess with ur swr's too.

you have more than 1 swr on your vehicle?

is it possible you didnt have something right with the 10k and the wilson?
ive ran both of them on several applications they worked fine for me....i
prefer a 55 coil type antenna myself.....ive ran em all and the rest are
sitting in the garage collecting spider webs the 55 is on the roof workin
it.....trust me trucker you will and do know when I roll thru double S......

They call me Megadong and im cruisin thru
55builtit4me

Post by 55builtit4me »

wegarrett wrote:
southerntrucker wrote:a 10k on a spring? i dont think so. i mean, if u wanna do that than you can. but i wouldnt recamend it. i seen a rock hauler down their in mississippi. he had an old spring with a 10k on it and the whip on the 10k was about 5in from the ground!!! it looked freakin stupid! i fell outta my seat laughing when i saw it! lol oh and another thing......that spring will mess with ur swr's too.

you have more than 1 swr on your vehicle?

is it possible you didnt have something right with the 10k and the wilson?
ive ran both of them on several applications they worked fine for me....i
prefer a 55 coil type antenna myself.....ive ran em all and the rest are
sitting in the garage collecting spider webs the 55 is on the roof workin
it.....trust me trucker you will and do know when I roll thru double S......

They call me Megadong and im cruisin thru
are you a truck driver? if so, are you running an immortal? I want to get one to try on a little car the old lady has...

i'm glad to know i'm not the only one who loves them BADDD to the bonne 55 antennas ;)
wegarrett

Post by wegarrett »

i have an immortal i ran at my last job on a 379 daycab mounted on the mirror worked awesome and tuned awesome,
but the new job i have the bossman is kinda picky about what goes on his truck, so i showed em the immortal and he
wasnt having that thing on his truck so its sitting over in the corner.....guess i would sell it if someone was interested,
i dont plan on leaving the company anytime soon if at all so its of no use to me.....on my pickup i have the R4 and am
planning on getting another R4 for the other pickup i have......

hit me with PM if your interested.....thing wasnt on the truck maybe 3 months and bossman and me got crossed so i told
em to stick it......

55 is the **Censored**
rabbiporkchop88

Post by rabbiporkchop88 »

LordDragr wrote:I'm trying to find a new antenna for my mobile so I figured this would be a good way to choose. The choices are ones that I might go with but not sure yet.
Due to the terms of service ,I am prohibited from advertising for a non sponsor, but out of the choices in the poll, I would take the wilson 5000.
My homemade antennas have a much higher q factor than the wilson 5000, but of the choices presented the wilson takes the cake. The more copper in your antenna, the better you will be able to hear out in the distance. It's kinda nice to be able to talk to my wife mobile to mobile from 65 miles away.
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

One of my favorite antennas that I have is an inverted "L" with five ground radials that range from 75 feet down to 25 feet. I still need to put more underground. It's res. on 3 mhz because it's a little long but it gets into that skip zone on 11/10 meter without a problem on low power. Those shortwave radio stations sure do peg the meter on the low bands along with everyone else.
Deleted User 9037

Post by Deleted User 9037 »

I prefer a Wilson 2000 over anything!