HF rig

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
bosshog

HF rig

Post by bosshog »

OK well i am in the process of looking for a hf base rig for the house. i am looking to spend some where around 6 to 8 hundred on one. have been surfing eBay and seen a lot of nice used rigs witch i have nothing against buying used but just looking for some suggestions on what to buy.

have any suggestions?
DanzKat

Post by DanzKat »

I just got a Yaesu FT-857 for a great price, It is actually a mobile but I use it as my base. It has many features, more than I expected!!! Great little rig!!!!!!
dud muck
Donor
Donor

Re: HF rig

Post by dud muck »

The yaesu ft-857d I have also. You can get that new for under $800.
The user interface on that is cramped, optimized for mobile use. But its great for mobile.
For a home base HF rig you would be better off with a regular base-station HF radio.

Just search ebay for "icom hf" or "yaesu hf" or kenwood or whatever.
When you find a radio you're interested in, google for the model number and check the eham.net reviews.

For example, the Kenwood TS-520S can be had for under $300, its not the latest technology, but the eham reviews seem to like it.
90% of your radio station is in the antenna.
Unlimited power permitted on CH1 to CH27 as per FCC CFR 47 part 18: 18.305(a) and 18.301
DX_MONKEY

Post by DX_MONKEY »

I can recommend the Icom 746. In your price range used. HF + 6 meters + VHF

Mine does 50 watts max DK on AM and swings to 100

When you do the mod, it transmits from 1.6 ~ 60mhz strait thru, and then again from 108 ~ 174 mhz strait thru. Doubles as a very good VHF scanner. I live in a rural county a good ways away from any bigger city and all of the local police, fire, ect.. are still on VHF so I can here all of that.

Bandscope, large display screen, DSP noise reduction. I don't think you can beat these.

good luck
doctor

radio

Post by doctor »

Yaesu 857d and for your info e ham classified has one brand new guy won as a prize and wants to sell should be a great price also

doctor/795 :shock:

Post by 231 »

Some great advice to consider so far. If you are stuck on getting new, you'll be limited in what you can buy for $800 or less. BUT, as mentioned the FT-857D is a great mobile rig to consider. You might also consider looking at the Icom IC-718 if you want new. They are also a reasonably priced rig...but it'll only do HF...no v/uhf like the FT-857D. And they can be had used all day long pretty cheap. I thought about buying one myself just to play with.

But indeed you have tons of choices of good used ones out there. You might keep an eye out for a used IC-746 like DX-Monkey mentioned, too. They are a great rig...and once in awhile I see them for what your budget is. Another one I happen to like (although many don't like it) is the TS-570 Kenwood. They quit making them, but frankly I think that was one of the cleanest rigs out there at the time...as far as looks. Friend of mine just picked one up a couple years old for $550 with an MC-60 desk mic. Pretty reasonable deal I thought.

Anyway, sort of along the same lines as others have mentioned, you might take some time on rigpix.com and look at the different models and get familiar with them some. That's what I did a long time ago and it really helped me. Once I was able to understand a little of the overall differences, it made looking easier (for me anyway).

;)
bosshog

Post by bosshog »

thanks guys i have no problem buying used. i figured i would have to buy a used rig anyway seeings on how i ma on a limited budget. more or less looking for the best bang for my buck. more or less wanting to get the best possible.

as far as an antenna goes i will most likely be running a G5RV and then i will also need to buy a tuner along with the radio.
DX_MONKEY

Post by DX_MONKEY »

The Icom 746 has a built in tuner

good luck